View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #21
Casey Martinson
Dojo: Meishinkan Dojo/Lehigh Acres
Re: Taking the high road

i must not be communicating my point very well. let me try again.

if one is only interested in self defense, without concern for any ethical considerations, there are surely many easier paths to becoming attack resistant than aikido. yes, shooting a gun requires some training to be consistently effective. but if you watch the news, it's obvious there are a lot of people killing and maiming their fellow humans everyday with firearms, and they probably have little or no training. i would guess that a hundred hours of handgun training would render me physically more than capable of killing, maiming, or otherwise dissuading an attacker, even one skilled in BJJ or some other art.

on the other hand, to ward off an attack using aikido, i may need to spend thousands of hours training. however, because i care about resolving conflicts without bringing death or serious injury to my opponent, i'm willing to put in the time. it's not that i don't care about self defense. i am very interested in defending myself, but i want to do it with as little violence as possible. you must understand, i'm not being naive here, just idealistic, and i think there's a considerable difference between the two. after all, aikido is nothing if not idealistic.

so although i respect your opinions, what i'm seeing is this:

Me: How can aikido be used to prevent a take-down/throw?

You guys: You'll probably get taken to the ground, so better be prepared to deal with it.

If you get thrown down, try to get up.

It's unrealistic to think you can be totally effective at avoiding the throw/grapple.

While all those answers may or may not be true, they don't address my question. It's okay if you don't know how to defend against being thrown/grappled, but I don't think that makes it a waste of time to learn and practice such strategies. If you have any input regarding an aikido defense against the throw/takedown, let's hear it. If you're just going to go on about how hard it is, there is no need; I heard you the first time.

With love and respect,
Casey