View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #19
paw
Re: Taking the high road

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
"That's considerably easier said than done."

Isn't that true of Aikido in general?
That's for you to determine over the course of your training. The point is it may be unwise to presume anyone can develop their abilities to the point that they cannot be taken to the ground .

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
Whether they're doing a takedown/throw to get you on the ground or simply to bodyslam you into unconsciousness, I think what I said still applies: the best defense is to avoid their takedown/throw attempt--which i assume would involve some kind of grab for your body--and use that attack as your point of blending. I didn't mean to imply that grappling wasn't effective off the ground. But off the ground, aikido and grappling are perhaps on a more even playing field. In fact, in principle, it seems to me that aikido has the advantage.
Again, I urge you to consider that it is unlikely someone can develop their abilities to the point where they cannot be taken to ground by throw, tackle, takedown or happenstance.

As to if aikido has the advantage in principle, that is something you will have to discover on your own.

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
if i can't avoid being thrown, what's the point of getting back up on my feet?
That is where your compentancies are. You would want to engage someone where you are strong, don't you? If you don't know how to groundfight and are facing someone who does, you won't fare well.

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
i don't practice aikido because i think it will provide a quick and easy path to self defense; i practice because i believe in its ideals and principles.
Then why worry about groundwork or bjj attacks? Just train aikido.

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
if we're looking for self defense that is as easily done as said, why not just carry a concealed weapon? there's nothing as easy as pulling a trigger.
Concealed carry of firearms isn't legal in all places. Also, this solution, carrying a firearm, isn't an appropriate response for all threats. Finally, "pulling a trigger" isn't easy. Most rounds fired in real world gunfights...miss. Shooting a firearm, like aikido, is a skill that must be acquired by training.

Regards,

Paul