View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
Casey Martinson
Dojo: Meishinkan Dojo/Lehigh Acres
Re: Taking the high road

"That's considerably easier said than done."

Isn't that true of Aikido in general?

"The less "rules" an environment has, the more possibilities there are to set up a specific attack, and the more the defender has to defend."

Again, this seems to apply to any real life self defense situation.

"This may be knit-picking, but in my mind "grappling" does not mean "groundwork". There are some exceptional wrestlers, judoka, bjj'ers, sombist, etc....who can and have ended fights by throwing. "

Whether they're doing a takedown/throw to get you on the ground or simply to bodyslam you into unconsciousness, I think what I said still applies: the best defense is to avoid their takedown/throw attempt--which i assume would involve some kind of grab for your body--and use that attack as your point of blending. I didn't mean to imply that grappling wasn't effective off the ground. But off the ground, aikido and grappling are perhaps on a more even playing field. In fact, in principle, it seems to me that aikido has the advantage.

"you need to practice getting loose and back up on your feet ."

if i can't avoid being thrown, what's the point of getting back up on my feet? i'll just get thrown again. if can't avoid the throw, i'd just as soon get thrown only one time--thus limiting damage from repeated impacts--and try my luck on the ground.

it seems there are two paths in defense against grappling. the only aikido path i see is "avoid the throw/takedown/grapple attempt, blend with the attempt, and bring your opponent under control."
the other path is to train in ground fighting.

i don't practice aikido because i think it will provide a quick and easy path to self defense; i practice because i believe in its ideals and principles. and i think that executed properly, those ideals and principles can be very effective. if we're looking for self defense that is as easily done as said, why not just carry a concealed weapon? there's nothing as easy as pulling a trigger. would O'Sensei have advised his students to train in grappling because it is "easier said than done" to avoid the throw or takedown of a trained grappler? my rank amateur guess is that he would not. so what are the options given to us by aikido?