View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
paw
Re: Taking the high road

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
Anyway, long story short, I went to jiu-jitsu.net for more info, and found the forum pages to be very disappointing. The posts are full of ego, crude language, and aggressive attitudes.

My impression was that UFC has had the effect of swelling BJJ schools with immature guys (very few "chicks") who want to be able to beat the crap out of all comers. Do any readers here have recent experience training in BJJ? Am I wrong? I'd like to someday look into learning BJJ but if I have to put up with the "ultimate fighter complex", forget it.
Different bulletin boards have different vibes. I've not been to jiu-jitsu.net, but I wouldn't call the specialized bjj boards at mma.tv "full of ego, crude language or aggressive attitudes", although folks are a lot more loose than here.

You can also check out Roy Harris' message board. Roy Dean, one of Mr. Harris students, posts here from time to time and give you more insight.

As to training in bjj, I've been doing so for the past 5 years. I've not encountered the "ultimate fighter complex" from anywhere I've trained, and I've trained with people who have and do compete in mixed martial art competitions on a regular basis. Like aikido, it's worthwhile to take the time to find an instructor and school that you feel comfortable with.

Roy Dean, being located in more of a bjj mecca, may have a different perspective. In my neck of the woods, I see far more bjj schools that are focused on the sportive aspects (gi and no gi competitions) after some basic self-defense is covered.

There certainly are bjj schools that focus on mma, but they tend to do so after their students have a basic understanding of self-defense and are more seasoned (high blue belt or purple belt).

Oh, one last comment. There are women in bjj, but on average, there tend to be more women in aikido, at least in my area. I've been told by some of women that tried bjj for a while before leaving, that the close contact of grappling as well as weight/strength differences are initially hard to get used to. However, like aikido, weight/strength differences can and are overcome by skill and technique, provided you put the time in training.

Hope this helps,

Paul