View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
Keith_k
Dojo: Kim's Hapkido
United_States
Re: Knife Work

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
The real problem is if the person who stands before you has the same idea. You'd end up killing each other.
The ONLY reason I would use a knife in this way is if the person in front of me had the same idea. This is why I emphasized speed. Kill him before he kills you. If this idea makes you uneasy, I would recommend perfecting your unarmed knife defense techniques and forget about how to use a knife offensively: knife fighting isn't for you.

Quote:
Descalation, running. No sense getting into a life or death struggle for no reason.
I assumed that as an aikidoka, deescalation would always be the first option. But if deescalation always worked, there would be no need for us to study technique. It is possible that you may be in a situation where armed physical conflict is unavoidable.

Quote:
The first target you should always go for is the one closest to you: their hand. If they are unable to wield a weapon effectively, the fight is over, obtain their weapon and detain them. A non-lethal approach is always a first measure, and lethal entry should be viable from your non-lethal stand point.
Slashing at the knife hand is a wonderful technique, as is slashing at the non-knife hand, or any other body part that your enemy is foolish enough to dangle in front of you. As I said, entire books could (and have) been written on the subject. I can't go over everything in a single post, so I chose the techniques that I thought most definitively end the conflict.
To me, using a knife in a non-lethal manner is a contradiction. Slashing at the hand is a deterrent, but doesn't do much more than superficial damage. The tendons are hard to get to, and even if cut the tendons on the back of the hand attach to muscles that OPEN the hand, so your enemy will still be able to grip his knife even if you cut him deep. Adrenaline or drugs may make the pain from this slash inconsequential. There's a good chance that you'll have to kill the bastard if you can't run and want to survive.
If you want to use non-lethal technique, throw the damn knife away. But if you insist, I think that knowing where the lethal strikes go will only help with your goal of using a knife non-lethally. If you don't want to kill the poor sod, don't cut him here, here, or here, etc. I still think that (not necessarily limited to) the strikes I listed are the best way to end an unavoidable conflict quickly, definitively, and with your safety in mind.

Quote:
Only reason I think your post should be edited, would be because you never know who's looking at these forums. It could be a convicted felon wanting to improve his "criminal I.Q"...But you could just send the guy a PM.
I don't think many criminals increase their criminal IQ from information gathered from a martial art dedicated to peace and harmony. Nor would simply viewing the information that I have posted do them much good without much, much practice. Anyone dedicated enough to spend the time and effort needed to become a proficient knife fighter probably would do so without my help.