View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Keep those mats together!

I have hurt my toes many times, fractured a couple too - all in Aikido. The culprit was always - the gaps between the mats. One time I went to the emergency room at the local hospital - just to check - like you do... There was a line of people with all sorts of horrors - and me, looking absolutely fine. I waited, and waited, and waited and felt worse and worse about it. Then some accident victim came in all smashed to bits and I thought - I'm OK - and hobbled out.

All you can really do is tape the toes together and try not to aggravate them for a few weeks. But when you tape it - be careful. If it is too sticky it'll hurt like hell when you pull it off to replace it. Or, you can wrap think gauze around it then tape on top of that. I prefer that way as it is easy to get it off. Forget suwari-waza for a while and be very careful with the breakfalls.

I have never jammed a finger in AIkido but did once in basketball at school. I threw the ball at the ring and it bounced straight back and hit the end of my extended finger head-on. It broke a piece off the bone and the Doc said it would take 10 years to disolve. It hurt for a few weeks.

And to relate to Bronson - above - if you throw uke over while up on your toes - that is OK if uke does go over. But if you are in a position where uke falls near your upright foot, I would put it flat on the floor lest uke fall on it and really take your foot out. One school of Jujutsu I was in insited it always be up, another always down. Up gives more power to the throw, down is safer and the throw depends on the body dropping. Or, you can throw iwth the foot up, then lower it as uke falls. Me, I think we need to make rational choices.

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 01-12-2005 at 10:19 PM.