View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 04:37 AM   #15
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Poll: Do you think your aikido organization would survive without its chief instr

When a CEO dies or leaves a business, the board tries to get the best person to replace the position. In the case of AAA and MAF, they did not do this. They looked within their own organizations to find another Chief-Instructor. They did not look outside their "company".

While most people with twenty years in Aikido are considered experienced, my Chief-Instructor has double that time in. I cannot find anyone in the region, who has done Aikido longer. When I started, I could have jointed under Toyoda Sensei or Tohei Sensei, but I decided to go with Eley Sensei. He wasn't Japanese, but it didn't matter to me, since I wanted to learn Aikido. He was a good instructor then, right now he's so good it's almost scary. As far as I know, he was never approached by either organizations.

Both AAA and MAF are strong enough organizations to do a global search. This would be a possible response for a corporation that was replacing a CEO position. If a family does not have a member in the business, like a mini-doshu, they have to be willing to spend the bucks to get someone good.

There are organizations that have lasted for centuries and are still in existence today. There is no reason why an Aikido organization should fold, once it's founding Chief-Instructor is gone.

Last edited by tedehara : 01-06-2005 at 04:42 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You