View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #46
justinm
United Kingdom
Re: Learning How to Learn Aikido

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
3. I am also very big on the use of "shaping". I don't let people build a strong neurological trace memory by repeatedly doing things wrong over and over. I correct early and often and then give positive feedback when it is done right. Sometimes the correction is one on one or if a predominant problem among the group I will show the problem to the group. I like to do it incorrectly and then correctly and ask them to pick out what is different or what I'm doing wrong.
John, this reminded me of a couple of things. When I restarted learning French, the teacher would never let us get away with errors. She ALWAYS corrected mistakes so that we never got into any bad habits. IIRC she said that she did not want us to ever hear the incorrect word or pronunciation without it being corrected.

I also recall during a Coaching Course that our trainer told us never to demontrate how to do it wrong, even if you said "this is wrong", because it does make an impression in the brain even it you do not want it to.

Since then I've tried to modify my teaching by never deliberately doing someing incorrectly, even if it is to show what people are doing wrong.

I do not know if this is good practice, but it seems to make sense to me at a superficial level (and I've not gone any deeper).

Has anyone else any input on this idea of NEVER deliberately showing the wrong way to do something, even if it is to say "don't do it this way"

Justin

Justin McCarthy