View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 03:37 AM   #12
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Locking/pinning as pain submission...

Quote:
Colby Pender wrote:
In case you hadn't noticed :P I'm a big fan of intent... It probably comes from the fact I used to train somewhere that I now feel had the wrong intent with a few things, now I've changed dojos and picked up a much better intent I've found my aikido has come along heaps in a relatively short period of time... I guess if you get it right in your mind eventually your body starts to get bits right too.

Because of that, I get worried when I look at threads here on locking and pinning and see quite a few people talking about using pain to get it to work - so I figured I should rant a bit about intent in the hopes that some of them might read it and have a think...
Intent is a whole new subject on its own . Some folk say that intent doesn't matter - just shut up and train. This has never worked for me, because if somebody intends to do me damage, they usually can. Then I can't train until I've healed. Some folk say that this is part of training, but I have yet to understand what I should learn from being deliberately damaged and left unable to train! (I don't mean accidental damage such as bruises and scrapes - that is a part of training which I totally accept, and it doesn't keep me off the mat ).

There are basically two types of people training - those who are in it for themselves, and those who are in it for the group. The first set of students are very concerned with learning techniques and the application thereof as hard as possible. They don't understand the concept of blending and they are not smooth. For them, good Aikido is getting uke to fall down any way they can. If they damage you, it's your fault and they are not going to change anything about the way they train, thank you very much.

The second group of students understand that learning Aikido is a co-operative exercise, and they enjoy the interaction between themselves and their training partners. They take care of their fellow students because they enjoy learning and want to have partners to train with! They are capable of adjusting the intensity of their training up and down, so they are equally at home training with a 9 year old kid beginner, or an athletic adult 5th dan.

I agree with you that intent is important, because it enables somebody to develop into a well-rounded Aikido student, if they choose to.

Ruth