View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 AM   #9
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Re: Ukemi vs. Protecting your attacker

Uke's shouldn't "jump" into a high fall. The high fall is a natural consequence of them being connected to their own wrist, and the movement of nage. It should be something that is done in a controlled and relatively safe way - nothing jumpy about it. However, I don't expect an untrained attacker to do it - I expect their wrist to break.

Aikido techniques provide a wide spectrum of responses, not just "bringing uke to the ground in a controlled manner". Sometimes we want to do that, sometimes we want to break their arm, or drop them on their head.

As an aside, I was surprised to see the result of someone not following a strong kotegeishi in our dojo recently - broken ulna and radius, but no damage to the wrist joint itself. I'd always assumed there'd be some tissue damage long before the bones went. Ah well (no, it wasn't me).

Train well,

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)