View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 02:26 AM   #24
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Re: Problem with my sensei

I think if you're posting here you probably already know the answer.
Of course, no-one here can really judge properly, and tell you to get out. But on the other hand, based on what you've said - get out.

But, I'm not saying this because he sounds terrible. A lot of good teachers talk a huge amount, and some people need this to learn. Others find it really frustrating, and I guess you're one of these. As for criticizing, most people here (including me) would consider it bad form, but there are a lot of sucky dojos and a lot of sucky aikido out there. I don't rant against it, especially to my students and dojomates, because there's not much I can acheive by it. Others may feel they have to impress on their students something about the state of aikido.
Selling stuff slightly more expensively can be a way to raise money for the dojo, not just to line their pockets. Are you sure he's selling the same stuff as the shops? I know I used to get pick up a few good bokkens on my travels for my dojo, but they were more expensive than the Taiwanese oak ones in the local MA store.

All this is speculation. Maybe the guy is just an asshole. None of us know. But what's clear is that you're not happy, and that's going to mess with your training. At the very least, look around for options.

Train well,

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)