View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 06:57 PM   #23
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States
Re: Problem with my sensei

Arif says: " First of all, he always speaks. He shows a technique, lets us practise twice or three times, then keeps speaking and speaking. Secondly, he always criticizes other dojos and senseis, tells that as for him "most of them are bad and our dojo is good....." And finally, he demands money unnecessarily, tries to sell things (bokken.....) much more expensive.
All of these behaviours of him have made me think that he is not a good teacher. And day by day, I have started to lose my trust of him. What should I do?. Should I change my dojo?

Arif- Mon Ami-
Run don't walk to the nearest exit- you are seeing signs of a persona that is unsrable. Next thing you might get nailed with a Bokken for doing a technique incorrectly or forced to perform some other punnishment-
I once had a Sensai try to force me to do 50 finger pushups because I farted on the mat and was disrespectfull- Hell, I fart all day long.
didn't last at that dojo long-
The best sensai is someone who wants to teach a technique with out a lot of external politics or jibber-jabber-
The yudansha who told me I was being rude for making eye contact with another black belt is overdue for a stong attitude adjustment.
Bottom Line- go where you feel happy and not pressured to buy into some sort of system or philosophy- (or worse buy a bunch of junk you don't need)
Best of luck with your choices.
Bruce