View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: How often do you get to choose your uke(s) for your rank testing at your aikido dojo?

I attended a United Kingdom Aikikai (not my school) course, about 1990 or 91maybe, and trained all week. I was second dan at the time (still am!) but my 'system' was a little different - certainly the sword work. Anyway, come the last day, I volunteered to be uke for the dan gradings and things proceeded fairly well. Then came the partnered swordwork, they had an odd number, and guess who got called up. It's not like you can easily refuse. I have seen my fair share of bad ukes at gradings over the years and now it was my turn to be one. I was nervous and it wasn't even my grading. 'O-oh, what the hell do I do now!' rapidly went through my mind. Well, I had no idea whatsoever and there was no way I would be able to get out of it with all eyes upon us. Well, all I had to do was to figure out what attack I had to do - not easy when certain techniques involved several movements. Luckily, several pairs were grading at the same time - I claimed my space right between two other pairs and positioned my self just slightly behind those to my left and right. I attacked my partner just a moment after glancing at (without turning my head) those next to me - somehow, it worked and all went smoothly. At least some of the stuff they did we had practised that week, but each successive moment I had no idea what was next - it was quite nerve-racking at the time. No one wants to look the fool - I got away with it - nobody noticed. And as for choosing your partner - I think it was the first time I had met the guy. He passed

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 12-19-2004 at 06:23 PM.