Old 12-10-2004, 07:55 AM   #7
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: traditional yokomenuchi sankyo

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
Some guy just mentioned "traditional yokomenuchi sankyo."

I don't know how this is done tradionally. I get inside the arc and grab the other hand, step between that hand and their body (uchimawari) and make sankyo that way. What do you do? A gokyo to sankyo switch? What's the tradional way?

Rob
Whats in a name?

This sounds to me like uchi kaiten sankyo.

As a general rule we work inside of circular attacks with a straight response and outside of straight attacks with a counter stike if working on practical and without if looking for more blending in our practice.

Based on the theory that whatever works against empty hand should also work against a weapon we dont apply blocks. They may not work too well against a live blade.

Our atemis are primarily directed to the head. Theory here is control the head and you control the body.

The idea of striking vital points eg kyusho jitsu is fine but can be very difficult to apply under pressure. A head shot even when presented as a shomen uchi is so much simpler and unlike a rib shot less likely to result inuke pulling his elbow down making ikkyo / sankyo very difficult indeed.

(although setting up kotagaeshi quite nicely )

Anyway - I digress....

For our version of traditional sankyo we tend to use irimi / atemi in response to the more circular yokomen uchi.

This is followed with ikkyo into sankyo. Either omote or ura.

Our reasoning for this is that the ikkyo enables control of uke to take place prior to the trickier sankyo being applied.

But as has been said already....tradional for whom?

regards

D