View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Difference: Male and Female Sensei

How about this then:

- In our training, do we really escape all of our personality, our personal history, our emotional content, or does our Aikido really remain "our" Aikido (i.e. it is always processed via these things)? If it is the latter, do we mean to suggest that our own gender identity and/or gender experience has not marked our personality, our personal history, or our emotional content?

Alternatively, perhaps the gap by which we can escape our gender identity and gender experience lies in our training.

- Is our training of such a nature that it never reaches the depth of our personality, our personal history, or our emotional content such that gender identity and gender experience can remain irrelevant?

I was wondering about these things as I was prompted by the thread to compare two different times in my training. When I first started, a husband and wife taught me Aikido. Between the two, of course, there were differences, but as others said, those differences could really be chalked up to stylistic differences that are not really part of a gender identity and/or experience, etc., or if they were it was really too subtle a difference in order to distinct one cause over another. However, now, in my own training, teaching others, gender identity and experience, as part of a personality, as part of a personal history, as part of an emotional content, seems to be popping up in a way that it can't always be passed off as "stylistic" preferences.

When I looked deeper, there is a difference between the two types of training, and this may be where the first difference is coming from. In the first case, training was mostly centered on waza training. I think in waza training, things can only get so deep, and hence things like gender experience/gender identity, etc., might not come to the surface at all. In the type of training we are practicing now, training is centered on acquiring spontaneity. Such training seems to go a bit deeper, I feel, and so a whole lot of stuff comes to the surface - gender experience and gender identity often being one of them. (Of course, this applies for men and women.)

So maybe not just who we are may play a role in how our Self comes through in our training, maybe what we are doing also plays a role.

Last edited by senshincenter : 12-07-2004 at 02:59 PM.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.