Thread: intuition
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2001, 01:52 AM   #6
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Question Sixth Sense

Quote:
Originally posted by taro
Hello Ted. Thanks for your help. Funny thing, I'm reading this book by Paul Wildish called Thorson's Principles Of Aikido, and I just got to the chapter on Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido. Is this the same as the Ki Society?
I read the article on testing as well as Ki in Aikido. Interesting stuff. I've also taken a quick look at your website. Any other articles in particular I should look at? I haven't finished my chapter on Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido, but I'm curious to learn the differences(and similarities) of the different branches of aikido. There are no Ki Society aikido clubs in my area, but I'm pretty sure I'd like to find some things I can learn and practice on my own here. I'm particularly interested in developing that "sixth sense" if that's what it is. One of the articles at your website touched on that. Sensing an attack before it is launched. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. But also developing my Ki, or my use of Ki(obviously I don't even understand it that well, which would be my first step, wouldn't it?). Anyway, any suggestions?
Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido is the same thing as Ki Society Style Aikido or Ki Aikido. Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido (Aikido with mind and body coordination) refers to Tempu Nakamura one of the major influences on Koichi Tohei, Founder of the Ki Society.

The best way to understand the different styles of Aikido is to visit various schools. You might not be able to try different styles now, but eventually when you travel around you might. You can also go to Aikido seminars to experience different instructors and styles. This is a lot more interesting than trying to figure things out from a book.

When you say ...Sensing an attack before it is launched. ... I'm assuming you're talking about a surprise attack. The only incident I've heard of this happening was years ago to a member of the Illinois Aikido Club.

He was standing at a bus stop, when something started to bother him. He checked himself and found he was calm, but something still disturbed him. He began to look at his surroundings and turned in time to stop an unprovoked attack from some crazy guy. The important thing that was relayed to me, was that he was calm enough to realize something was not right.

One way to deepen your relaxation is through breathing and meditation. In our classes we do ki breathing and ki meditation in that order. The breathing helps to physically calm you so that your meditation session is deeper.

Despite the efforts of Inspector Clouseau of the Pink Panther films and others, detecting a surprise attack cannot really be practiced. What can be practiced is remaining calm in your daily life then dealing with whatever the universe sends you.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You