I'm happy to announce the newest feature on AikiWeb.com:
The AikiChat Real-Time Chat Room
You'll now be able to chat with AikiWeb members from all over the world in real-time! I'm hoping to schedule special "chat" times for special topic discussions (eg "Let's meet on Thursday at 6:00pm EST to discuss beginners' ukemi issues").
A few notes:
- You'll need to be an active AikiWeb Member in order to use the chat room.
- The "chat area" refreshes about every eight seconds. When this happens, you may see that area "blink." This is expected and is, unfortunately, necessary.
- In order to send a "private message" (a message only seen by the recipient) to someone , you can use a command of the following format:
/msg [recipient's username] Hi! How are you!
You can also click on the user's name in the right pane to put in a default private message template in your Message area. Simply click on their name and then edit the "<Your Private MSG Here>" to your message.
- To do an "action," type something like:
/me does a forward roll
The above will show "*USERNAME does a forward roll*" in the chat area.
- There are some user settings that you can set for the chat room including your username color/font and "ignore" features. Click on the "AikiChat User Preferences" link near the top of the chat window.
- The "Show Archive" button will launch a new window with the last 100 messages. You can use this window to "catch up" with recent messages.
- The time on the left of each message should be your local time when the message was posted. If it is incorrect, make sure that your Options Preferences are set correctly (including Daylight Savings TIme (DST) settings).
- You'll need a browser that can handle "Iframes." If your browser doesn't work well with the chat room, I suggest using a newer browser. My personal recommendation would be the Firefox browser.
As always, please do not forget that the primary rule on AikiWeb is, "Treat your fellow AikiWeb members with respect." The same rule is also primary in the AikiChat area.
Please let me know if you have any questions or issues, and I'll do my best to resolve them.