Thread: Gun!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2001, 10:35 AM   #32
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Ai symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by AikidoSteve

And I think a small price to pay to be able to live in the land of the free.

And we can't forget this famous quote "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -- Adolph Hitler, 1933

And then when Germany established gun confiscation in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally ill, and others, who were unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Of course Aikido was still in its infancy then. In the US the chances of winning the Lottery are greater than having some bad guy point a gun at you. Don't believe the press 100% as they like to sensationalize the news.

And your Sensei is right - run and take cover.

Respectfully Yours in Aikihood from the USA

Just another time zone victim...

I didn't take anything personal but I would like to add some remarks (nothing personal, too)

- as PeterR pointed out already, life in countries with gun control isn't less free, especially not in Germany. Personally, I wouldn't want to define my freedom by the way a country handles its weapons issues.

- I just wanted TO AVOID another gun control discussion because we had that already on this forum (and I know it is a somewhat controversial issue in the USA) by stating that it is far more likely to be the victim of a robbery at gun point in the US which as far as I know is more of a statistical fact than sensational news.

-By the way: it is much easier to get a licence for owning a weapon in Germany than you may think. It's far easier than getting a driving license. I do a lot of sailing so I have a license for owning a Very pistol. It needs 30mm phosphorus ammunition designed to burn in heavy weather and even under water. If someone gets accidently shot with one of these he will die almost certainly. And the test to get it was just a joke.
So I know what I'm talking about.

-The way a country handles the control of weapons has a lot to do with tradition. E.g in Japan every shinken has to be registered with the police. Here, even sharp blades are sold as decoration objects without caring who buys them. So our traditions regarding this issue are just different. I think it's the same with the US and Europe.

-as far as the history of our countries goes, every nation on this earth has black spots on the race/religion chapter and we are all glad to have overcome these dark times.

I hope we got all the points clarified now and can go back to the original topic.
As I said I didn't take anything personal and I hope it's the same with all of you.

yours
Anne

P.S: Thank you, Jim23, for trying to help me.

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)