View Single Post
Old 05-03-2001, 06:53 AM   #26
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
ARE STANDARD GOING +/- ?

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
Yes - which is why balance is everything. The goal of competition should be to improve the overall martial ability - if the lessons can not be transferred then the purpose is lost. With that view it is not necessary to include all techniques if the lessons to be learnt transcend technique.

KAMI : Excellent idea in a theoretical way...In a practical way, I don't see that happening. I believe competitions tends to occupy all available space, sooner or later...

You know Ubaldo et al that I would have to stick something in there - red flag to a bull or in other words Moooo!!!

KAMI : My God, Peter! You "moo" quite well...

Please remember that the Uchideshi system of old and in fact today was not a lifetime thing. The whole concept of studying only with one teacher because of loyalty is quite a strange idea in this context. During the time as uchideshi which could be a year or five years you spent all your time at your masters side. What you learnt through diffusion or active teaching went beyond what normal students would receive but in the end you would move on or at least stop being uchideshi. Your relationship with your teacher may or may not continue although it usually did in some form.

KAMI : Excellent, again, Peter! (Wow! two straight hits in a post!!!)

The uchideshi system continues but as the number of ordinary students grows the ratio of deshi to uchideshi increases and theoretically the overall quality decreases. On the other hand as the number of students increases the chance of true talent showing up also increases - hopefully they have a chance to become uchideshi.

KAMI : That is happening in some Koryu and it worries me also.

Finally - hey I'm on a coffee break folks - the average student today has much more knowledge of history and a lot less inclined to succumb to myth and legend (at least over the long term). This in my mind results in a more well rounded martial artist.
KAMI : Remember the Jim Jones Syndrome...And remember also how many students today succumbs to cults and "bad budo". Unhappily, in our time, many young people are disoriented and looking for father figures and cults as a way of salvation. And that leads to a lot of belief in myths and legends. Let's hope it will change for the best.
Congratulations on a very good post, Peter San!
Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara