View Single Post
Old 05-03-2001, 12:53 AM   #24
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim23
Put all the talk aside for a minute and look at classes with an open mind. Money must be the chief motivator, as there are so many poor, weak students out there. Put the pressure on and you know they'll walk.
While I have my issues with some of the Aikido I see, this is not one of them. In fact, I have sometimes wished that dojos pushed more for money. While I'm certain there are dojo out there that fit this criteria, I don't think there are as many as you might see in say Karate or Tae Kwon Do. I see a lot of starving artists as sensei for a lack of a better term. I only know of one dojo in the Bay Area driven by money, otherwise most dojo teach straight-forward Aikido as they see it with what are probably fairly poor business plans. We're rather blessed in this regard as we have a ton of exceptional teachers in the Bay Area and they seem to be driven by a love of the art.

Otherwise, I've been pondering an answer to your question, but I have not been able to put it together. For now I think I'll piggy back on Peter's as he said a lot of things I would agree with.