View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: consumed by the opponent

Rachel said it very well, and like her, I'm not sure what I want to say exactly but I do feel a need to chime in.

I am of the opinion that people are doing one of two things... all the time:

You are either being the Cause of something or the Effect of it.

Take for example a bad working relationship. If you have a dominate boss who abuses their power, you can either take it and be the effect or do something about it, thus being cause. Let me define that really quick:

Quote:
Main Entry: 1cause
Pronunciation: 'koz
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin causa
1 a : a reason for an action or condition : MOTIVE b : something that brings about an effect or a result c : a person or thing that is the occasion of an action or state; especially : an agent that brings something about
The manner in which one takes action or brings something about determines whether you are acting in an ethical or moral way... or not.

With a law suit, that may have been the proper recourse. Before taking such action, I would bring my concerns to my superior (boss) and if that wasn't effective go over their head and keep doing so until someone with authority acts. If the action doesn't come, find another job. OR... if the situation that has you upset it totally wrong and unlawful, then yes, legal action could be taken so that things can be corrected and your co-workers won't have to suffer in the future.

As to emotions, you can be cause over them or the effect of them. A person suffering from depression is at the effect. An objective executive type who is successful is most likely (not always, but...) the cause and does not let their emotions get to them. You can use your emotions as incentive to get busy and do something, but with logic and reason in play... you can take proper action that leads to a positive result.

Have I completely bored you by now? LOL

Overall, and speaking for myself, I rarely let emotions get the best of me. Sure, I have my moments, but they are infrequent and I can recognize them when they come. Many times I have snapped or wanted to snap in class because I had difficulty getting a technique down, or I wanted to practice more when the instructor was ready to move on... but then I have to realize that I am the STUDENT. As a student, I'm choosing to be the effect and be instructed in the ways of aikido, while at the same time recognizing that I am cause... and chose to be there in the first place. See the yin yang going on there?

Life is a juggling act. Anyone see "Joan of Arcadia" last week? EXCELLENT episode! I highly recommend everyone to watch it... great show!

Okay... I'll shuddup now.

Last edited by John Boswell : 11-24-2004 at 10:34 AM.