View Single Post
Old 05-02-2001, 04:19 PM   #22
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Cochran
Compition in MA only realy hurt the art if it prevents the students from learning it fully.
Yes - which is why balance is everything. The goal of competition should be to improve the overall martial ability - if the lessons can not be transferred then the purpose is lost. With that view it is not necessary to include all techniques if the lessons to be learnt transcend technique.

You know Ubaldo et al that I would have to stick something in there - red flag to a bull or in other words Moooo!!!

Please remember that the Uchideshi system of old and in fact today was not a lifetime thing. The whole concept of studying only with one teacher because of loyalty is quite a strange idea in this context. During the time as uchideshi which could be a year or five years you spent all your time at your masters side. What you learnt through diffusion or active teaching went beyond what normal students would receive but in the end you would move on or at least stop being uchideshi. Your relationship with your teacher may or may not continue although it usually did in some form.

The uchideshi system continues but as the number of ordinary students grows the ratio of deshi to uchideshi increases and theoretically the overall quality decreases. On the other hand as the number of students increases the chance of true talent showing up also increases - hopefully they have a chance to become uchideshi.

Finally - hey I'm on a coffee break folks - the average student today has much more knowledge of history and a lot less inclined to succumb to myth and legend (at least over the long term). This in my mind results in a more well rounded martial artist.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido