View Single Post
Old 05-02-2001, 01:31 PM   #20
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Re: Re: PREJUDICE

Quote:
Originally posted by andrew

That's fine if you're being thought a syllabus of standardised fixed techniques, but aikido teaching is based on principles which meet with different interpretations from different people. I think that because Aikido was not founded on an exhaustive library of narrowly (sorry about that word) defined techniques, and not taught in this manner, and each teacher has their own interpretations of what constitutes technique, that you cannot in fact learn from a single teacher. (I think everybody you train with is your teacher in some fashion, though.)

KAMI : Maybe we're talking about two different things : the Uchideshi System and the possibility of having more than one teacher. The uchideshi system (common in many Koryu arts) implies living with one teacher and just one.
As having more than one teacher, I believe in that too. But only after you study with one teacher, for a time, to learn correctly the basics.

So I THINK my point is that I believe that learning from a single master is less effective than benifitting from several, and that the old Uchideshi sytem you refer to is perhaps outdated by the basis of aikido.

KAMI : There's an excellent study of that in Diane Skoss's book, SWORD AND SPIRIT (By all means, buy it at Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com!)in the article called "Uchidachi and Shidachi" by Nishioka Tsuneo.

I realise my differentiation of principle and technique is probably going a bit over the top here, but hey, I'm young and foolish.
andrew
KAMI : From the mouth of the young and foolish comes sometimes great wisdom...
BEst

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara