View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #21
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Thank you, Rev. Furuya!

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Certainly, anyone who expects to participate o a forum should expect to have his ideas challenged. I don't think it necessarily means that one should expect to be personally attacked.
For better or worse, the nature of the medium seems to require the expectation that one will (or in any case, is likely to) be personally attacked. I assume that this is one reason why the "Voices of Experience" forum was created - but you notice that not much goes on there, in general. In the open forums you get a more dynamic wellspring of opposing viewpoints - I suppose that this is the tradeoff.

Yes of course, everybody ought to behave honorably, but realistically everybody knows that there will always be exceptions. I can't control those people, so my choices are to learn to live with it or pick up my marbles and go home. IMO, learning to deal with distasteful situations and people without withdrawing is part of the package.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Actually, you are a very good example of what a forum participant can be. Your posts are always thought out, you are willing to challenge anyone's ideas but you never make it personal. In short, you act like a man of honor. If you and I disagree I don't feel attacked, I just feel like we are having an exchange. That doesn't diminsh either of us.
Gee, now you've got me blushing .

Best,

Chris