Old 11-16-2004, 10:41 PM   #30
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Mysterious Action of Kotodama

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
In other words, the kototama is a way of understanding the nature of things that spread from India through Tibet, Mongolia into China then to Korea and Japan. O-Sensei's way of talking about the universe in terms of everything being described in terms of vibration represented by a sound, and then that sound having associated colors, elements, psychic aspects, Kami etc. would be comprehensible to anyone from a Tibetan Buddhist background for instance. They might not understand the specifically Shinto religious associations used by O-Sensei but they would be quite at home with his general view that the universe was created when the primordial stillnes was broken by a sound (vibration). Even in Westre traditions we have the remais of this type of thinking although we;ve lost the application in any systematic way. The Bible starts with "in the beginning was the "Word".
Hello George,

There is much here to ponder on, but I think you need to clarify your last sentence. The Bible starts with "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (King James version).

The sentence you have quoted is the beginnning of the Prologue of the Gospel of John (John 1, 1-14). There is some evidence that John used the term 'logos' in a new and quite different sense to what it had meant before (and the term is not used in the same sense anywhere else in the prologue or in the New Testament). I doubt very much that John meant vibration or sound.

I am aware that Morihei Ueshiba actually cites the term 'logos' in "Takemusu Aiki" and obviously has the verse you quoted im mind. However, I have thought for a long time that the concept does not bear the weight that O Sensei puts on it.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury