View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Will Aikido really work?

Quote:
Chris Ward wrote:
I have spent several years studying Tae Kwon Do and Karate and I wish I had found Aikido long before (no disrespect intended to any other art), however, I know here in the early going of my Aikido training we have been working on wrist grabs exclusively, I know you have to have a starting point for training in any art, but unfortunately in every effort in which I have had to defend myself noone was grabbing my wrist, they were either trying to kick me low, like in the knee or shin, or trying to box me while they bounced around in a circular motion. I can only assume the futher I get along in my training I will learn how to defend myself in these respects? I apprecaite any and all responses....
I've been to women's self defense seminars where they focus on the defense a wrist grab, the idea being an assailant would grab the wrist and punch. So it's a valid attack on it's own. (So's a shirt or shoulder grab; I remember seeing a brawl at a hcokey game where two players grabbed each other's uniforms and were pummeling each other with their other hand.)

Also, a wrist grab is used to practice the same techniques you'd use against a punch, just without the added pressure of a fist flying at you.

As to the people who are boxing or low kicking, yeah this is a LEETLE bit outside Aikido's perview. If you're really worried about it, while continuing Aikido, cross-train in something like Thai Boxing, shoot, or Filipino martial arts, to cover those areas; the latter two will integrate that with grappling. Failing that, go with the responses that come naturally to you; Aikido should work its way into that in time as it becomes part of your muscle memory. If you are continuing with TKD and karate while doing Aikido, keep doing that.