View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #18
Larry John
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Re: Is cleaning the dojo part of training?

From the ASU Training Handbook, Third Edition:

"Rules of the Dojo:

- This dojo follows the traditional rules of proper conduct. Its spirit comes directly from the Founder of Aikido and it is the place of the succession of his teachings. It is the responsibility of each student to cooperate in creative a positive atmosphere of harmony and respect and to honor those teachings.

- Cleaning is an active prayer of thanksgiving. It is each student's responsibility to assist in cleaning the dojo and to cleanse his or her own mind and heart.

- You cannot buy technique. The monthly membership rules provide a place for training and a way in which to show gratitude for the teaching received ...

- There will be no power struggles within the dojo. The dojo membership is one family and the secret of Aikido is harmony.

Misogi: Purification of mind, body, and spirit. Sweating is misogi; cleaning is misogi; fasting is misogi; keiko is misogi."

At the risk of sounding like the old stick in the mud that my daughters have always believed I'd become, I like these rules and the spirit that underlies them. Normally, I hate having to do routine cleaning at home or the office. But I'm happy to do it at the dojo.

I want the place I train to be a real community based on the idea of self-improvement, not a business based on cold economic transactions.

I want it to be run in a professional manner, with clearly articulated rules and responsibilities; sound planning and resource management; and a focus on safe, effective training and pedagogy. And I want its leaders to be intellectually curious and open to diverse opinions and experiences.

It's all summed up in this statement on the dojo web site.

"... [Our dojo] is a not-for-profit organization governed by a board of directors elected from and by the membership. Instead of paying for individual lessons, students pay monthly membership dues. All students assist in the maintenance of the dojo. We pride ourselves on maintaining the dojo -- not only as a place for serious Aikido training and discipline -- but also as a place with a sense of belonging and concern for each other."

I hope you are successful in determining and finding whatever it is you're looking for in a dojo.

Last edited by Larry John : 11-11-2004 at 12:58 PM. Reason: 'Cause two present participles just don't work well in the same sentence

Larry