View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #18
garry cantrell
United_States
Re: Aikido main defense in murder trial

it looks like the jury came back with a voluntary manslaughter verdict. i do not know the particulars of virginia law, but typically voluntary manslaughter requires a failure to find that the murder was done with malice (states can differ on the definition of malice as well - but it usually requires the intentional doing of a wrongful act without just cause or excuse with an intent to inflict injury) - so, the jury apparently placed some blame on the deceased and paid some attention to "heat of the moment" motivation.

also - the right to self defense ends when the threat is over. its a very aiki sort of sensibility. some, probably most, states require that you retreat first before using force. but you're only required to retreat if you can do so safely. texas does not require that you retreat if the altercation is within your own home. but, still, you've got to stop once the threat is neutralized. so, the hard question is - how do you know when the threat is over?

other thoughts: a sankyo against a knife thrust can end up with the knife in a stabbing position into the chest of uke - and i've seen it taught that way - and i've taught it that way, likewise with a gokyo takedown gone wrong. further, a shihonage can end up with the knife in a stabbing position to the upper back - and there are a bunch of others - but i can't think of a single technique that puts you into position for each of the stab wounds observed without some sophisticated transitional moves. none of the witnesses observed anything that sounded like anything particularly sophisticated - not sure that someone unfamiliar with MA would necesarily recognize it though.