View Single Post
Old 04-27-2001, 08:57 AM   #9
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Lets see if I can produce a good reply to that.
Let me first tell you that I'm the first to admit that I believe that one need to train against all kinds of attack, at least sometime, so that you have experienced how to alter your basics accordingly. Having said that I think that this kind of training (difficult MA attacks) should only take 10%, at the most, of ones time on the mat. The rest of the time should go to train against basic attacks (including, apart from all grabing attacks, yokomen, shomen, tsuki, kata dori shomen, knife etc.).
  • I think a principle like moving of the line or tai sabaki work just fine against advance strikers (I have excperienced that by the way) like a skilled Karateka. We have a soon to be nidan karateka (shodan aikidoka) in our club and he likes to make it hard for you, thats why I'm amazed how well the simplest of technique (or principles rather) work agains a lightning fast strike or kick.
  • It's all about timing, awase and maai, all of which one will get better at with effective training.
  • Whats wrong with just stepping of the line without applying a technique at all? That's when you really neutralizes an attack in my oppinion.Wasn't that BTW what o-sensei did when confronted with an navy officer,who was a very skilled kendoka (or was it kenjutsuka)? He kept on moving of the line of attacks untill the officer was to tired to continue!
  • IMO we're not training against an for us optimal attack, I would say the opposite. We're training for the worst case scenario, that the attacker knows how to regain his/her balance after we've initially taken it from him/her. In real life how many of the agressors actually have that skill? (We're training it endlessly doing our ukemi!)
Again without saying only MHO

Stay

Jakob Blomquist