View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 12:36 PM   #14
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: A Woman's Center

Jun said:
Quote:
The way I use the term "center'" isn't spiritual but conceptual/physical in nature. It may not be the literal center of gravity, but when I try moving "from my center," it allows me to connect my hands/arms (usually my "connectors") with my legs (usually my "affectors"). As such, I tend to see "center" as a concept that cultivates my using my entire body (from the point of contact with my partner down to the ground). In addition, the concept also allows me to articulate my body more freely (eg using my hips, knees, elbows) by shifting my awareness away from the point of contact.
Hi Jun; thanks for that - that's largely - though far more detailed - the way I think about it; you're far better at explaining it than I.

Hanna said:
Quote:
One of my previous teachers said that it took a bit longer time for women to "get their center down". Some of you migh say "find their center". Well, that was his experience... I wonder if most women breath with more superficial breaths than most men? This would then most probably be something culture-dependent.
Hi Hanna - I suspect it's nothing more than the fact that women tend to be smaller and lighter than men; and are more likely to have to reach up to grab a shoulder etc. Which will cause any newer student to 'think high' and let their center rise.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.