View Single Post
Old 04-26-2001, 11:06 PM   #33
Karl Kuhn
Dojo: New City YMCA/Chicago Shodokan
Ubaldo (I hope you do not mind me addressing you in this way, one never knows in this ether),

I had not intended my post as an attack or to upset you, if you have taken offense at some of my comments, I hope you will accept my apology, for that was not the spirit in which they were offered.

That being said.......
You wrote "You begin by saying that I "fabricate" a quote of yours."
That is exactly what you did. You put words in quotation marks next to my name that I did not say or write. It could not be clearer. I can understand you mistaking my plea for people to not hasten to judge something to rashly. I remain a little curious why you excersice such little regard for the rules of language in making vocal your concern. This is not meant as any judgement towards you, please understand.

You said "Many of you" do not accept opinions from people, unless they have large experience".

I like to think that is not the case, for either Peter or myself. Personally, I have been, in my own small way, been trying to point to the larger context that aikido randori/embu kata events exist in within Shodokan Aikido. From my own experience I know that a casual glance does not fill the eye with enough to see what is happening. I am not saying that you do not know anything or that your experiences are without value, far from it. I am simply suggesting that there is more to it. Take someone whose only experience with painting is representational, barouque say, and plop them in front of color field painting by a minimalist- would they see it as a painting? By what rule swould they judge it? Or someone who has only listened to piano concertos is sat with a recording Ornette Colemans double quartet free-jazz freak out- would they hear it as music?

"remember that Kano Sensei, Ueshiba Sensei, Tomiki Sensei and many others are respected masters, not Gods."
Of course. And mistakes they made I'm sure. From my experience their work in the preservation of randori is not a mistake. It is a gift.

KAMI : "...You agree with the thing I proposed that "the techniques in Randori are not pretty".
No, I don't agree. They have a beauty all there own, even when they look like kata. That's ok though, isn't it? Surely we do not have to agree on standards of beauty to have a dialouge?

KAMI : Why are you so concerned about disagreeing with me? Since you disagree so much, the only way to end this discussion is to have the most common thing in the world : data on competition. what has been the progress, the number of participants, etc..."

I'm not concerned with disagreeing with you, as I think we have more in common than not. I am concerned that communications as reflect my experience do just that. What would you do with such data? What point would it prove?

KAMI : Thank you, again. Now, I'm "suspect"...

Not you, your comment. I trust you see the difference. You said "that competition, in Tomiki Aikido, never really took hold" and that is patently not true.

KAMI : As I said before, the growth of competition and championships, throughout the world, should be demonstrated by data, not by words. But, as you yourself said before, "you don't feel you have to prove anything to me". So be it...

I am not sure what you want here, my friend. Why should "the growth of competition and championships, throughout the world, should be demonstrated by data, not by words" when it's not the point. The growth of Shodokan Aikido would be great! It will grow but because of the value of it's method and the quality it's teachers, nothing more nothing less.

I hope that you see my reply here in the spirit it was intended, one of good will and understanding.

Karl

Karl Kuhn