View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 12:46 AM   #9
Brightsky
Dojo: Aikido@Goshin Dojo
United_States
Re: What is the nature of modern fighting

Im a police officer of about 8 years. During that time I have probably been involved in roughly 200 - 300 fights, and have dealt with the aftermath of thousands and thousands of others. One noticeable thing is that times have changed. Rare is the fight where all involved parties separate without a bloodletting and where grudges die after a heated argument or trading of blows. Ive met/argued/fought with people who would kill over the change in your pocket and would sleep like a baby afterwards. Nowadays you have to be careful what color of clothes you are wearing, how much money you have on you, the kind of car you drive, etc.
I cant speak for the other people Ive dealt with, but in all the fights ive been in, in the back of my mind is the fact that this could be a life or death struggle. (The academy tells us the FBI did a study where an officer is killed 7 out of 10 times when he or she is rendered incapacitated or killed. Police bring all kinds of weapons and goodies to every fight.)
Maybe its more of a cynical viewpoint, (one could argue that I may not see the less serious arguments or ones that no one wants to involve the police.) On the same token, probably about 25-50 percent of all crimes are reported. Every day I run into some people that never reported a crime but want advice or want someone to be aware of it days or weeks later. So if you could take the amount of reported crimes and multiply them by 2-4 times, might get a more accurate figure.
I heard a saying that goes something like we bleed on the mat so we dont bleed on the streets has a lot of merit. I believe that its not necessarily the type of art we train in, but the person. If one trained with their rosy pink glasses on and expected to be able to handle themselves because they were able to pass all the tests then they may be setting themselves up for a fall (no pun intended). However, if one takes their training seriously and trains with a realistic point of view and common sense, and above all, never give up, they will have a much better chance if and when it is ever needed.
Whatever happened to the days when one could go over to their neighbors house and talk over a problem?