View Single Post
Old 04-23-2001, 05:34 PM   #22
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Angry Re: TO BE OR NOT TO BE...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kami
KAMI : (Answers) - Sorry, Karl, but "I would caution against people making sweeping generalizations about something they have not experienced". You don't know me but you claim that I have no experience about Tomiki Aikido. I have and my son has even participated as an invited guest in Tomiki competition. I talk about what I know and what I know is that I saw too many inflated egos in TA.
Well exactly how much experience do you have? Both Karl and I have extensive experience in Shodokan and you seem to be describing something that we are unfamiliar with. Based on what I've seen in non-competitive dojos the source of rampant egos has little to do with competition.

Quote:
But I would remind you that competition, in Tomiki Aikido, never really took hold. There are many Tomiki dojo that do not participate in competition and quite a few offshoots (Fugakukai, Jiyushinkai...) that have abandoned it. Toshu Randori was abandoned after some time and Tanto Randori was the most practiced format. Now I heard that Toshu Randori is being studied again for competition. In Tomiki Aikido competition, the good techniques are rare and are usually seen in the higher grades and it seems the greater part of the competitors are universities's students.
Really - the size of the International events grows each and every time they are held. True, there are dojos and members that do not compete, it is not a requirement and why should it be. The vast majority of Tomiki practioners belong to organizations which participate in competions. The shiai is there to test your Aikido if you want to. It is not easy and not for everybody. However, probably the best tanto randori player in the US is over 50, the winner of the US nationals (a Brit) is 40. At Virginia last summer the range of competitors went from early 20s to mid-50s, I am 39 and compete (not well mind you) and Karl, he is no spring chicken but does pretty good. If college age is the 18-23 crowd they were in the minority. In Japan there is a huge influx of college students (just like any University Aikido dojo) but you go to Honbu you see a very even distribution from 17 to 77. Tanto and Toshu - I forwarded a letter to you from a senior Honbu instructor with respect to your question - seems you ignore or twist things that don't fit your theory. Good techniques are rare - well that's the whole point. Those who compete learn very quickly how difficult it is to pull off techniques which look good in a dojo. Its a real ego destroyer to discover your Aikido is not as hot as you thought and if your good you take home the lessons learnt and apply it to all your Aikido.

Quote:
Anyway, I do not pontificate on Tomiki Aikido.
Sorry Ubaldo that is exactly what you are doing. Excuse my frustration but my reaction is constantly - where does he get this stuff. I suggest you have far less experience of Shodokan than you think or at the very least your prejudices are clouding your vision.

I have given up trying to explain to you, you have your ideas, but it is very hard for me to sit still and not counter. Each and every point you raise has been answered before and its like water off a duck's back. I am not after converts to Shodokan but I would rather people be exposed to an informed source.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido