Thread: The poll!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2001, 11:39 AM   #8
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR By the way - in my view once uke can actively resist and counter then the distinction between the two (tori and uke) becomes blurred.
Just so there's no misunderstanding, I didn't include (for kata training) the intent for uke to "resist and counter" at this point.

Along with a sincere, committed attack (at whatever level of energy the two have agreed to work with)uke should not interfere with their own automatic response (natural recovery)to being off-balanced.

Adding the intent to counter tori by being "creative" in their balance recovery by stealing the tori's sente at the same time as the recovery and then making their own waza happens in drills and randori.

"Resisting" is a word I don't use much. Changing what the opponent is doing to make a technique is not resisting in my book. Here I go splitting hairs again!

There should be no "resisting" in kata practice. Just natural committed attacks by both partners, taking the sente with kuzushi (at first touch), natural attempts to recover balance when lost, tsukuri (fitting), and then the finish of the technique.

I think the principle of "kobo ichi" is lost in lots of folks' practice. Kata practice and then randori as described reinforces this principle.

Take care,

Last edited by Chuck Clark : 04-23-2001 at 11:41 AM.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org