View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 09:59 AM   #66
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Aikido and being Christian

Kristian:

Quote:
But like any tool it only becomes truly valuable when used properly. Much like the Christian system. No one I know has ever incited mass religious genocide and slaughter in the name of Aiki. I think many of Jesus followers have a great deal to answer for throughout history. To paraphrase, You know a tree by the fruit it bears.
You're right on, Kristian! A tree is known by the fruit it bears. If I say I'm a Christian and then run off to kill "inifidels" I make myself a liar; for I cannot kill people simply because they do not believe as I do and really be a Christian. The Bible forbids such behaviour. Mass genocide in the name of Jesus is a Roman Catholic venture, not a Christian one. People may have invoked Jesus' name while killing others, but this no more makes their killing Christian than killing endangered whales in the name of Mother Nature makes me a member of GreenPeace.

Tony:

Hey, man! Glad I could encourage you as a Christian! God bless!

Bruce: I think you're right about some truth being evident outside the pages of the Bible. A number of things O-sensei said about love and peace resonate strongly with me as a Christian. Just because O-sensei is saying it and not Jesus doesn't make it less true.

Take it easy!

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."