View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 04:35 AM   #14
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: When Can an Instructor Stop Training?

Tim,

What an excellent question. I'd like to think that I'm in the "after you're dead" camp, but when I think of the top instructors that I've trained under at the Yoshinkan hombu I never really saw them do a class or "training" per se and if they did any training together it was definately very secretive and nothing I was even privy to hearing about and this was when I was a part-time instructor at hombu.

The reason I mention this is because I have absolutely no doubts that they could do a class of hajime and I have done classes of 90 mins of back breakfalls with some of them and other physically improbable/impossible exercises. But they do not "train" in the way I normally define the term which includes physically bouncing around as uke.

I do know some instructors who fall into the "don't train...talk only...and don't participate in seminars" but the instructors at Hombu aren't like that.

What a dilema. I have the absolute utmost respect for these instructors and believe that they could out-train a hotshot 19 year old, but I have never seen the top 3 Yoshinkan instructors train a class.

One thing I do need to point out is that I do see these instructors still *learning* and continuing to look to expand their understanding. So, that differentiation between learning and training applies here.

Okay...so...I guess the "after your dead" part applies to us mere mortals and there are those others who actually have done all the training they need to.

Thanks for making me think...d*mn.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs