View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Magma
Re: When Can an Instructor Stop Training?

Realize that I am not arguing *for* this sort of instructor, but as I doubt whether any instructor is willing to go on the record in a world wide forum like this and claim to be one who does not train, I will state some of the rationalizations that I have heard or can imagine...

"You don't ever stop exercising the mind."

"At higher levels of aikido, the physical becomes less important as the training becomes more holistic, more esoteric, more advanced, and ultimately your whole life."

"Your body cannot hold out forever, and if you don't learn how to grow without training, then what good is your training to you at that point?"

ugh.

I dislike all of those answers as ultimately they resonate more as excuses. They seem even more self serving in that they acknowledge the need for growth but do not participate in the training that would elicit such growth. And any learning that you can gain from activities *other* than physically training, IMO, is learning that is separate from what one learns through physical training.

Just because someone *can* learn without training is no reason not to take advantage of the learning that they can have with training.

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.