View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #35
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Shoulder pain in break falls

Ellis Amdur stated very clearly and concisely:
Quote:
Rolfing can be very helpful with certain physical injuries - (I've had a number of sessions thruout my life), but it will do nothing to help with joint stabilization, when the joint is injuried. (Rolfing is a very forceful massage that attempts to tear fascia/scar tissue that is believed to bind muscles and prevent full function). Rolfing has done nothing to help my rotator cuff problems,
and also
Quote:
As for David's comments on weight training, simply incorrect. Proper weight training brings the entire body into play. Exercise physiologists have found, for example that Olympic style weight lifters are, on the indexes of strength, power, flexibility and joint stability to be the best athletes in the world.
Sir, an inaccurate description of rolfing - even if given by your rolf therapist. most of their work is done in the nervous system. tearing fascia would be more damaging - getting motor neurons to fire in the way they did Prior to injury is the mechanism of cure - which is probably why the other therapy you mentioned helped. And to answer the second part - you've given a very well crafted and narrowed response. i must doubt western scientific evaluation of athletic prowess. the navy recommended the findings of a spinal posture researcher who implanted his (single) subject with pressure detectors in the disks between the vertebrae!!!! what sort of study is that?

and olympians are just that - the best. the average lifter of weights walks like he (or she) has
something poking them in the rear. they tear good muscle and overbulk it. they simply are not flexible.

great that Therapeutic weight training helped you, but would you recommend it to a person with healthy joints? my single point is that yoga, chi kung, or just continued aikido training would be better advice to give

billybob