View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
Magnus Brown
Dojo: Ellis School of Traditional Aikido
Re: Knee Surgery and Aikido

I have had several ops on my knee over the last 10 years to remove cartilege and during the last op they checked out my ACL and found that I don't have one anymore :-( Snapped long ago. after the op I got lots of good physio (went private for the last op) and that has really sorted my knee out. Before the physio I tried a couple of martial arts but my knee kept "popping out". After physio my knee hasn't popped out once and I feel very confident of it. The doctor said that he would replace my acl if I wanted but that I should do physio and see if my knee could do what I asked of it and 1.5 years later it's still ok and I'm not going to have the acl replacement as I can't see the need. My knee works fine. The only problem I have is lots of extra muscle around the knee which makes kneeling down difficult. I've been doing aikido for a year and if anything it is making my knee stronger - but I would definitely recommend doing lots of physio to strengthen your knee first before the op and lots afterwards. I couldn't believe how well my knee responded,

good luck

Magnus