View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #30
giriasis
United_States
Re: Shoulder pain in break falls

Why would tight ligaments make a joint more stable? First I'm not thinking of "tight ligaments" but rather "tighter ligaments" when they are already too lose to begin with. My best example I could give you relates to the knees. If a person does not adequately build strength in their hamstrings, abductors, adductors, and quads, their knee caps get lose, thereby, making you more prone to injury. If you do proper exercises you will develop strength in the muscles and the knee cap will be more secure on the knee and help prevent things like ACL tears. However, if they are overly tight or there are muscle imbalances (i.e. strong hams and quads but weak abductors/ adductors) then there is a whole other set of problems. (i.e. One woman who used to train in my dojo has done spinning so much that she can't sit in seiza anymore because it's too painful.)

I'm sure when it comes to things like rotator cuff tears regarding the shoulders, the similar theory applies. I can't be more specific because I'm not a medical doctor although I have taken an assertive effort to understand the mechanics of the human body and fitness in general.

My comments are also based on personal experience with weight training and I have found that it does help my aikido and keeps my joints more protected. I also discovered that training in aikido 5 days a week has no way brought me near the strength gains I needed to make in order to get my body in better physical shape. The key is to find moves and exercises that simulate what you do in aikido. And, there are plenty of traditional weight training exercises that can do this. Yes, you isolate the muscles, but I don't use machines which really use just one muscle group. I use free weights which activate use of more than one muscle group. I also found that it is necessary to follow the weight training with flexibility training so that you don't let your muscle get to tight so you end up losing your range of motion required in aikido, thereby causing a whole other set of problems.

P.S. Forgive my ignorance, but what is rolfing?

Last edited by giriasis : 10-07-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.