View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States
Re: Opinions and thoughts please...

Quote:
Jordan Steele wrote:
Thanks for the responses, a number of the posts mentioned things that haven't crossed my mind before but my original intention of the post was trying to dig a litttle deeper. I wasn't just concerned about imbalance and how I felt I could stop the throw, but more concerned as to why we train to be unbalanced. For example, if I happened to be involved in an altercation outside of the dojo and an attacker tried to throw me, my "trained" instict would be to allow this off balancing and move with the throw. My "natural" instinct would be to immediately drop my center and resist the throw. I know ukemi doesn't just teach falling, it teaches a way of moving in general that can potenetially save your life. I'll get straight to the point though. My muscles have been trained to move with someone elses force whether I'm nage or uke so if someone tried to throw me in a fight, I would most likely allow this to happen, WHY DO WE TRAIN TO BE UNBALANCED?
If somebody tries to throw you, which means he is attacking, then you should use his attack and unbalance him and pin or throw. If you are attacking and he is good enough to use it and throw you, your ukemi just saves you from being injured. We do not train to be unbalanced, we are trained to be safe.

Last edited by suren : 10-06-2004 at 01:42 PM.