View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #34
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Kotegaeshi

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
.... The Philippine art of Kali has pretty much the same locking techniques that we do ....
Yes, and as a result of practicing the grappling portion of Kali, I came up with two rules of thumb that also apply to Aikido (and maybe other grappling systems):

First, off, the devil is in the details. By this I mean throws and joint lock can be very precise. If you have to get four things right to do a technique and you get three of them right, it might not work right or not at all.

Second, even if you get everything perfect, some people can resist or counter anything. The original poster's uke who can lock his wrist and counter ketegaeshi is one example. Some people can set themselves so well it is difficult or impossible to throw them. There are people who don't feel pain, so joint locks or pressure points may not produce a submission.

So the point I'm trying to make is that if something doesn't work right during training, don't get mad or frustrated. Trust me, that's the wrong way to go. Just remember that the nature of the beast is that you could miss something, or if you don't, your partner may be able to resist it. Don't sweat it, just try to learn from it.