View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #15
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you strongly resist your partner's technique as uke during aikido training?

Hello everyone,

I think there are several ways to resist nage. I also think that at times, resisting is appropriate. Sometimes it's not.

For example, during kata practice where nage is attempting to do a specific technique, it is not appropriate to resist insomuch as deliberately trying not to be thrown. Uke has his own job to do which consists of a preset response to the kuzushi being applied. In other words, it's kata for both nage and uke. In my opinion, the only appropriate resistance in this training scenario would be to try to regain your balance to another dangerous position. If, in fact, uke does regain balance during an attempted kata technique, both participants understand that the attempted technique was unsuccessful and adjustments need to be made. Furthermore, it is very easy to "cheat" as uke since he/she already knows what's going to happen. Starting and attack at one speed and then speeding up the recovery to regain balance is one small example of "cheating". During kata practice, uke has the simple (ha) task of giving an honest attack and attempting to stay dangerous to tori without speeding up, stopping, or recovering to some direction other than where kuzushi is applied. If uke does anything other than that, more than likely, the attempted technique is no longer appropriate to the circumstances. A good, honest uke is the key to learning Aikido. Being a good, honest uke is even better. Knowing this, I think that uke's job is the most important, and difficult, in the dojo.

It is however appropriate to resist nage during practice when it is agreed that that is what's to be practiced. In our dojo we call this randori. In other words," I'm going give you an honest attack, after that, good luck". Even under these"conditions", some behavior is inappropriate. For example, stopping, failing to participate, and speeding up in an attempt to not be thrown stalls the learning process. So what is appropriate? Trying to feel where Nage is breaking balance and beat them there is a start. Recovering to some spot other than where balance is broken (at the right time, while maintaining musubi) is also good. Changing the rhythm of the "dance" can work too. These things are very hard to learn to do without cheating. The best way to learn to attempt to counter legitimately, believe it or not is to "not care who wins or loses"( That's from my teacher..Chuck Clark) and fall down. I'll say it again... grab the most senior person you can get your hands on...attack...stay dangerous as long as you can and then FALL DOWN. Eventually, you will become very sensitive. At some point, hopefully, we will learn that the best way to resist a technique is to not resist that technique. Who would have thought? In my opinion, resisting by getting strong or trying to "hide" your center from nage is always counterproductive to learning Aikido. I can take wrestling at the local gym.

Finally, my frail definition of resisting strongly really translates to not participating or trying to get away. In which case nage can stop the attempt at the technique because uke is no longer dangerous.

Whoooooooo! man am I getting long winded.

Just my experiences so far,
Take care all,
Shane