View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #30
Thomas Ambrose

United_States
Re: Funny things during class

Today we were doing a technique... I think it was Kata-dori-sankyo (not sure, still new!) and I was uke. I sort of stumbled and stubbed my big toe kinda bad on the mat. It made a very loud "pop" or "snap" sound as the toe bent down under my foot. Immediately everyone hearing the sound turned their heads.

My partner asked if I was ok, I said yes.

Sensei also asked if I was ok, and I said I was fine. It hurt pretty bad, but it was a pretty nasty stubbing, maybe a slight sprain, nothing too bad. I could still move it

My partner suddenly had a really worried look on his face and said "Are you sure you are ok? It looks broken!"

I then realized something. You see, the toe next to my big toe on my right foot is sort of "crooked," the joint bends to the side. It has been that way as long as I can remember, perhaps I broke it when I was too young to remember. This is the first time my partner saw my "deformed toe," and he saw it right after I stubbed it pretty bad and made a loud "pop!" noise. From his point of view, it probably looked like he broke my toe! I explained "It has always looked like that" and then we continue practicing. After practice I explained the situation and we had a good laugh about it!

Anyway, that is my funny story. Now I think I will ice my toe a bit!