Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan
Re: Aikido And The Law

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
oK, so I'm staying out of Italy....

R
A pity, there are a lot of good things here

Young-In Park: the debate is infact politically open here in Italy on the subject, and every time something similar happens, many asks to lessen the criteria to judge cases of self defense.
I agree with you on the sensei case (but disagree on the samurai one; if he stopped his slicing frenzy, then there was no need to shoot him dead and was not "self defence", exaclty as pursuing an escaping guy to kill him -even if he entered in your house and punched your wife- isn't).
I was only reporting the situation with a controversial example, and hadn't the intention to start a "mine legal system is better than yours" debate
I can assure Ron that life in Italy is safe at least as much as in the US, even if you shouldn't kill aggressors

I think It's difficult to compare the law in two different countries; too many social, cultural and historical aspects are involved.
It's even more difficult when one of the countries are the US, so big and etherogeneal both in people and in geography.

Personally, I think that in this matter of self defence "in media stat virtus": the Italian law protects a bit too much the un-innocent when he probably deserves beating, the US gives a bit too much freedom to overreact when there's no real need to, leading to overkill given the easy access to weapons you've there, IMHO.

Returning IT, for sure there is a common thing here and there: in case of problems with the law of this kind, is better not the reveal to be a martial artist... Aikido is surely less known here than in the US to the general public, another good reason to stay shut, IMHO.
Dunno why, but if you use a martial art to hurt someone, even if he deserved it, looks negative to many people of the general audience.
"Cobrakai" and "Niko" effect maybe?

Bye!

--