Thread: oyo henka
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: oyo henka

Hi Bryan, thanks for replying. As I understand it, oyo refers to practical application and henka means change from one technique to another. On the dvd, Saotome Sensei seems to use the term to indicate a very specific practice, when uke stops nage from doing a particular technique. For example, when nage tries katatedori shihonage, uke can lower her weight and brace against having her arm being raised up. Saotome Sensei shows how to use that resistance to do another technique. The narration refers to another type of practice where uke tries to reverse the technique, what we usually call kaeshiwaza, right? This practice is refered to as kumite geiko. My experience has been that in practice of a more free nature, both of these get mixed up. After seeing the dvd, I`m thinking that separating the two and giving them specific names might be a very good idea. I`m wondering how teachers have incorporated this strict separation in their classes. I teach high school students, and frankly, they are too immature to handle this kind of practice, but I`m still interested in hearing opinions and ideas.

Josh,

I highly recommend this dvd. However, I recommend Saotome Sensei`s Principles of Aikido dvd first. I think that oyo henka practice is quite advanced and a student could really cut themselves off at the feet by trying it before having a solid handle on the basics. Another important point is that S Sensei`s uke on the dvd are both quite good. Most of the resistence I personally encounter is by lower level students who could not take the ukemi safely if I suddenly change the technique.

Charles Hill