View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 AM   #4
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is knowing step-by-step kihonwaza (basic techniques) for beginning aikido students?

Quote:
Joezer Mandagi wrote:
I noticed that there are several votes for "Not very important" and "Not at all important". Just curious, but why would anyone feel that kihon-waza is unimportant?
I'm stumped a bit on the poll question and could see "Not at all important" as a valid answer. The poll question "How important is knowing step-by-step kihonwaza (basic techniques) for beginning aikido students?" assumes agreement on the definition/meaning of things like "knowing," "step-by-step," "kihonwaza," "beginning aikido students," etc.

For example, in my dojo we emphasize kihonwaza but don't seem to approach it in a "step-by-step" fashion. Like a young person learning to walk we first do technique using essentially large motor skills and over time (with much practice) we employ finer motor skills (think big, move small). The more I learn about kihonwaza the more I find out how much I don't know and so perhaps I've yet to learn (or unlearn) that there is a step-by-step to it.

What exactly is a "beginning aikido student?" A shodan?