View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 04:19 PM   #15
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States
Re: Hungry for Aikido

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
Americans need to be motivated to do something.
I think everybody needs that.

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
What is the point of someone searching for knowledge when they will get nothing for it.
What is the point of searching anything if we all finally die? What you can get from doing any art except some satisfaction from what you are doing?

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
No offense to Aikido, but it's one of the slowest arts for promotion that I have ever been in. ...
But had I been a student with no experience. I would have been bored of this art already because there's no goal. 7 months without a promotion would be pretty boring to me as a beginner.
What would you say about my previous karate school where first promotion happens after about 4 years whey you really don't care about ranks and promotions? And guess what, almost all students I started with, were still there when school was closed. Actually what amazed me in America was how easy you are getting promoted here.

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
I just dont see a point, except for self growth, which I am sorry is far less important to Americans than self gratification is.
Right! For all 290 millions of Americans! I think more travel could show you that there are places where people more interested in their daily food than in self growth.

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
Maybe if these "so called" great instructors allowed photographs, autographs, a certificate of attendance, etc for students they would be more hungry to attend.
I personally don't think so.

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
We as instructors need to make people hungry to seek us out, not expect them to seek us out.
That's a great idea, but how do you propose to make people "hungry"? People's nature is so that you can't just make a person hungry. They become hungry when their stomachs tell them so. I believe the same is true about hunger for knowledge. Something inside the person should drive him into dojo. I don't think autographs or free coffie can help.
On the other hand probably some more information about the art (TV, magazines), demonstrations (which I would prefer more since TV shows mostly are too merchandized in their nature), etc could catch people's interest and bring them into dojo. But to keep them in there... I believe there need to be more than just interest.
How to develop that "something" that keeps people interested even after years of practice, I don't know. But from my experience that can't be developed from outside.

I don't like confrontations overall and sorry if my post is too offensive, but that was my original reaction which I wanted to share.