Thread: Rokkyo?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2000, 02:12 PM   #8
Tim Haffner
Dojo: Aikido School of Miami Beach
Wink Rokkyo

Nidai Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba demonstrates in his 1957 book "Aikido", on pg. 139 "ude hishigi". The technique involves rotating the attackers extended arm so that the elbow is facing up and the arm straight out. Nage then traps the elbow with his/her armpit and lowers down, excerting pressure on the elbow. This is called arm smashing in the description but is what is now known as Rokkyo, especially in the Iwama style.
Saito sensei, in the 1999 book "Trakemusu Aikido vol. 5: Budo" on pg. 140 demonstrates this technique againsts a straight thrust from a bayonet rifle. He calls the technique Juken tsuki rokkyo.
I've seen Pat Hendricks sensei, demonstrate this technique from an unarmed tsuki as rokkyo at a seminar in Ft. Lauderdale. She also demonstrated a technique from tsuki known as "nanakyo", the other pronunciation for seven, indicating the seventh teaching. Nanakyo is demonstrated, but not named, against yokomenuchi in Saito sensei's 1974 book Traditional Aikido vol. 4: Vital Techniques, on page 108. This involves the same entry as shihonage, but nage does not bring the arm up over his head while rotating. Instead, with the Shiho type arm twisted inward, nage leads uke in an ura(tenkan) movement and lowers uke down to the ground. The katame/osae waza is b bracing the elbow and drawing nage's wrist rearward. I found it quite effective.
It's my understanding that these techniques were always used but left unnamed until recently when Saito sensei catalogued them as Osae waza. I haven't heard about hatikyo or kyukyo, though. There's enough to memorize as is!

Tim Haffner
meadatim@gate.net
"All energy flows at the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy Him." Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas