View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: How many instructors teach Ukemi Waza?

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Other negatif consequence is inability of student to practice with his fellow students from other style. I.e. If aikikai student goes to yoshinkai or tomiki, he is lost. He is not able to spontanously develop a reaction to receive a technique. This is particularly true in the styles where very special type of uke mi is required(i.e.Ch.Tisser's style).

There are of course many other negative things, but only with these two, no martial spirit and no spontanous response, the way to takemusu aikido is closed.
Personally, I cannot agree with this and have never seen this phenomenon while training in dojos of other styles or when they train at our dojo.

Ukemi is first and foremost the practical ability to safely take a fall, at least in our understanding. This means that even if Ueshiba M. himself were throwing you, you should be able to handle it as long as you have developed your skills to that level.

Ukemi is spontaneous reaction imo. During randori practice at all levels, (and also during demos) techniques are done at full force and speed and just above the level of the students and challenges the receiver to empty the mind and instinctively place himself in a safe position to fall without any time to think about how it's done, but by responding to the movement and energy of technique.

So imnsho, as long as one has thoroughly grasped the principles of falling safely, regardless of the direction or angle thrown, it does not matter who you are training with, how martially they are training or what style they come from, you instinctively react with the reprogrammed survival instinct that places you in the position that allows you to be thrown at full force and get up and attack again afterwards. Most of our students have fared equally well in their ukemi skills when training in Aikido, Judo and Jujutsu, so I think sound ukemi skills follow certain principles regardless of martial art or style being studied.

The only problem comes when some instructors think that (like kata technique) their way of doing ukemi is the only correct way. This I have experienced at one dojo. Sad thing though.

Similar to the concept of studying techniques constantly under resistance, receiving technique at speed and force without first understanding sound ukemi principles is a formula for getting badly injured and learning nothing imo.

Just my 2 cents.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca